Is there an app for that?

Is there an app for that?

My initial entire focus of this blog adventure was to discover valuable apps that would truly benefit my middle school ELs' second language learning. This year my ELs were provided iPads to use throughout their day. However, they were given neither instruction nor recommendations, and the devices have become mere tools of translation. An alert this week produced "Using Mobile Apps for Teaching ESL in Higher Education Settings" by Sangeeta Johri, and I was stopped in my tracks and forced to reflect upon reading.

Although Johri focuses on MALL (rather than CALL) and ELs at the post-secondary level (rather than the secondary level), Johri penned several points that readjusted my position regarding the use of technology and second language acquisition. I realized that I was focusing too much on the app itself as being the silver bullet for second language learning. Johri discusses how apps can limit human contact. In addition, many second language learning apps are one-sided, providing correct versus incorrect feedback in the form of red green checkmarks or red X's. Also, instruction within these apps is often limited, and ELs are given only a few examples for skill acquisition.

Handing ELs devices of any kind is simply not enough. Johri mentions implementing the theory of constructivism by which the use of apps becomes a process through which ELs essentially utilize the apps to construct meaning within and from their own learning environments. I would take this approach a step further and employ a social constructivist stance at the middle school level (unlike a post-secondary level where independent online learning is commonplace) where learning via peer interaction within a focused learning environment is pedagogically appropriate and critical for the overall growth of students, especially ELs.

Therefore, apps should not be used in isolation. ELs should have opportunities for collaboration and exposure to different content perspectives. While Johri suggests the use of vocabulary games, I feel as if there are more apps out there that foster collaboration and diversity in learning. I do, However, completely agree with Johri that apps must be authentic and related to the learning content. Activities must have purpose academically, and they should help ELs grow as individuals and members of a new society.

My perspective has now grown. No longer do I view apps as the skill-and-drill solution to second language mastery. My focus on the use of apps for second language acquisition has shifted toward a social, collaborative means that will both engage ELs and create valuable learning experiences for them. I can't wait to explore the options!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What do you mean I have an accent?