What do you mean I have an accent?
Second Language Learning: Pronunciation vs. Accent
In reflecting upon the results of my Google
alerts this week, I have discovered that second
language does NOT necessarily mean English, Spanish, or French. In fact, I
received more information regarding second
language in terms of coding language. While I initially thought that
maintaining a blog might be a challenge, perhaps figuring out the science
required to pen a functional Google alert might be my ultimate goal!
Despite this speed bump, one particular delivered
article spun my ELD wheels. “Foreign Language Learnings have a Paradox in
Pronunciation” discusses
the difficulty in achieving “the correct pronunciation” while learning a second
language. Stemming from a study of 24 subjects using various recordings, the
finding is that speakers of a second language can easily detect mistakes in
pronunciation in others but cannot detect mistakes in their own speaking, even
after many years of speaking the second language. The cause is coined “overconfidence,”
simply the fact that we recognize our own accents easily - due to familiarity
and consequent comfortability – and do not detect our own mispronunciations.
The impact is that we therefore speak a second language with an accent.
The point of the involved study and related findings emphasize
the importance of external feedback to learning second language pronunciation.
External feedback can provide second language learners with essentially a
spoken mirror in order to help improve pronunciation.
Interestingly,
the article concludes by stating that linguists are currently discussing ways
to improve pronunciation through the use of apps that provide external feedback.
I am quite curious about this concept, especially within the ELD classroom. Such an
app could assist in differentiation among diverse populations of ELs from
various backgrounds and/or at various levels of English acquisition. This app could
also be a useful component within personalized learning. Since ELD teachers
cannot provide this type of external feedback to all ELs at all times, such an
app could provide immediate feedback to ELs and help them grow as independent
learners and speakers.
However,
I am skeptical. While I love the idea of immediate external feedback, I can’t
help but posing the question: What's "wrong" with having an accent? We ALL have accents, even in
our first language, so having an accent in a second or third or fourth language
is natural. Accents are a part of language. Accents reflect our dialects,
our teachers, our social communities, and our living experiences. Considering
that we ALL have accents, who is going to determine the speaker and the one "correct" pronunciation that would be acceptable for a particular word? I cannot
help but to envision that monotone, robotic pronunciation provided via the microphone icon within online
dictionary entries. Truly, who is to say that one pronunciation is more "correct" than
another?
Again,
I completely agree with the value of immediate external feedback to assist
second language learners with pronunciation as speaking is one of the four
essential components of language acquisition. Communication in the form of the spoken word is critical within learning a second language. I just fear that the beauty of
one’s accent will be seen as a detriment to second language communication and ultimately
discourage learners from speaking for fear of not perfecting a packaged form of
pronunciation that is humanly unrealistic.
Accents have always fascinated me. When I taught in AbuDhabi, I loved listening to everyone speak English in their different accents. Your paragraph describing your skepticism is awesome. I personally love accents and feel that they are just as much a part of us as our personalities! Yes, some attention to pronunciation is important when learning a language, but I agree, we don't need to sound robotic to be able to speak a language well.
ReplyDelete