And then there were more.

"Tired of Duolingo? Here are 5 more apps to help you learn a new language"
by Lindsay Hoffman of FOX17
https://www.fox17online.com/morning-mix/tired-of-duolingo-here-are-5-more-apps-to-help-you-learn-a-new-language

Strangely coincidental. While combing through my alerts, I heard the echo of Student A from my first period ELA class today: "I'll just use Duolingo. I am soooooooo tired of Duolingo."

My class and I had been discussing the question: "Should foreign language courses be offered in middle school?" This was one of 15 questions that I had generated in order to introduce The Argument module, and students were learning how to write claims based on their personal opinions.

Student A happened to sit right beside me, and upon hearing his distress, I asked, "Why are you soooooooo tired of Duolingo?"

He replied, "Because my mom makes me do it allllllll the timmmmmmmme."

About ten years ago when my district was in the throes of a major financial crisis, the first program to be chopped was the middle school foreign language program. I distinctly recall observing the debacle unfold layer by layer, including hearing Administrator X identify Latin as "a dead language" and Administrator Z declare that "all students need is English these days." Upon discovering that prior to his move this past summer from Virginia, Student A had taken Spanish I in sixth grade. His parents therefore needed to find a way to continue his Spanish education. Their answer was Duolingo, and Student A completed daily assignments as part of his literal homework.

My own child, who has a similar academic drive and a demanding parent as Student A, also recently shared that she "cannot wait until Duolingo is Duo-done." Although Student A and my own child failed to utter a coherent explanation for their Duolingo fatigue outside of the "just annoying" realm, they did send a clear message that they were bored with using the same learning app day after day.

Therefore, I was ecstatic to find this week's alert of five new language-learning apps. Listed was Babbel, a tool that offers lessons of 10 to 15 minutes that cater to authentic situations, such as everyday life functions, travel, and work. Babbel targets reading, writing, speaking, and listening, and it offers a review feature. Mondly also offers exercised in reading, writing, speaking, and listening in 33 different languages. Mondly is ideal for brushing up on a language or learning the basics, such as verb conjugation, or more authentic skills, such as conversational phrases.

Memrise goes beyond grammar and vocabulary and includes the language of the locals. Users can learn slang and everyday conversational phrases through interactive videos and games. Busuu contains 12 languages and focuses on the oral language skills that reflect users' needs. What is exciting about this app is that users can practice speaking the vernacular with native speakers during live conversations using a video chat platform. There are also grammar and vocabulary features. From an educator's standpoint, I was incredibly interested to read that the publisher McGraw Hill offers a McGrawHill Language Certificate to those who complete the presented class requirements. (Student A's ears are ringing right now.) Finally, Drops is deemed the most fun of the five apps, making learning the 37+ offered languages a race of fast-paced swiping through everyday vocabulary because it contains only words.

Yes, middle (and high) school students can be fickle. Yes, they can be more like whiny toddlers who desperately want but cannot articulate their needs. What I have learned throughout this course is that instructional variety, especially regarding online tools, is critical to maximize learning. Providing Student A, other students, and ELs the opportunity to explore multiple language learning apps that match their skill levels, their learning styles, and their needs, is critical to boosting student engagement and motivation. When students find an app that fits like a pair of checkered slide-on Vans, then language learning will be enjoyable and meaningful.

Comments

  1. I loved reading your post! I took Spanish in middle school and it was such a breeze. I remember learning the alphabet, basic vocabulary, how to conjugate some basic verbs, and about some Spanish speaking countries. Since I had such an easy time in middle school, I took Spanish 2 in ninth grade when I got to high school, and it was much more challenging. I had a hard time with my Spanish courses in high school. I think these apps that you found in your alert article would be extremely beneficial in both middle school to make the course more rigorous and engaging, and in high school courses to help struggling students to keep them engaged. As we have learned, there is no "one size fits all" app for every student to help practice every skills. Using a variety of different apps for different purposes keeps students interest levels in their language learning. I will have to check some of them out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny that duolingo started as something interesting and new that all students wanted to use. However, like most things, when it becomes something they 'have' to do and that is done often, it's no longer fun. I'm glad to hear that you found some new and interesting apps and programs that are coming out to allow students to stay interested and find ways to learn languages. Variety is surely the spice of life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I can totally relate to the sentiments felt by Student A and your child concerning Duolingo. I have been using the app to brush up on the basics of languages before traveling (last year I was learning Japanese and this year has been French). It was fun and engaging for the first couple months but then after a while it becomes boring. Though I was using it with the intention of learning basics for getting around a foreign country and no intention of becoming a fluent conversationalist, if I were this app probably would not be able to do it for me. When I learned Spanish in middle school, high school, and college the lessons on grammar and vocabulary seemed easier. With Duolingo they tend to randomly introduce new verbs and conjugations without really explaining the conjugations. I do like that the app lets you practice pronunciations but sometimes I know I am definitely not pronouncing something right but the app says I do. I will have to check out the other apps you mention in the post! They sound like a good way to vary how you learn new languages!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Is there an app for that?

What do you mean I have an accent?