#LanguageEvolution

"Beyond Local: What if emojis and hashtags should be part of language learning?" 

Professor Heather Lotherington, Multilingual Education and Associate Dean at York University in Canada, asks: "Why don't we teach languages the way we actually use them?" As an experienced secondary English teacher and certified reading and ELD specialist, I shake my head both north and south and east and west in response to this question.

In her article, Lotherington points her finger at "free or cheap" second language learning apps - particularly Duolingo, Busuu, Babbel, and Memrise - of "focusing on old-school grammar." According to Lotherington, these app push too much skill-and-drill, particularly with syntax and morphology. Instead, Lotherington wants a greater focus to be placed on other components of digital literacy, identified as "cross-linguistic elements" and otherwise known as hashtags, emojis, and SMS (short message service abbreviations, or what we know as textspeak).

Yes, literacy has grown from print to a digital platform. Yes, digital literacy has changed both the way we read, comprehend, and communicate. I full-heartedly support the notion of provide language instruction to include the way that it is used digitally. However, I support with a caveat.

Learning a second, third, or even fourth language involves the expectation of learning foundational skills. Period. The learning of these skills should involve diverse instructional strategies, skill-and-drill being an option among many. When acquiring a new language, balance is key. Not too much writing. Not too much grammar. But a goal to create a steady learning path across reading, writing, speaking, listening, grammar, and vocabulary that is engaging, scaffolded, collaborative, and even personalized.

The digital cross-linguistic elements referenced in this article are indeed a part of this balance. Teaching second language learners this "new grammar" is important to different modes of communication, but teaching them when and how to use them is even more important. Context is critical. Considering the communication's purpose, audience, and appropriate format is essential.

Therefore, include this exciting, fun, and "cross-linguistic" facet of language as a feature within a digital literacy unit, and guide learners in understanding the connections across the various features of language. Thanks to technology, language continues to evolve, and it is our responsibility as educators to teach our students to use these new tools with meaning and purpose.

https://www.timminstoday.com/local-news/beyond-local-what-if-emojis-and-hashtags-should-be-part-of-language-learning-2115923

Comments

  1. Hello!

    Using SMS vocabulary in a foreign language would be a really engaging and useful! I am not going to lie, I don't know how I would feel about hashtags, as I do not quite understand their purpose or usefulness in my first language. I guess I would have to learn more about them first!

    I agree with your take on balanced learning and that this kind of vocabulary would be included.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote about this last week and completely see the relevance of teaching this cultural component! So much of the language that our students will be using (if ever) will not be in formal contexts most likely, but rather, in informal contexts such as chatting online with others in the L2. If we are really teaching the language, we should focus on teaching it in all contexts, not just the academic! That will require more research on the teacher's part but can yield more motivation for learning for the learners.

    Balance is key :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Is there an app for that?

What do you mean I have an accent?